Saturday, May 31, 2014

I'm a one man band on the wagon.


I know you've seen all those jar herb gardens floating around pinterest - don't pretend like you haven't.  They're everywhere!  And if you know me, you know I'm likely to jump on a bandwagon like a trumpet blowing, drum stomping, cymbal crashing one man band!

Just kidding.

Kind of.


Here's the first one I saw and immediately wanted to copy: (but I don't know where it came from)
And here's one from Not Just A Housewife that's actually houseplants, but you could easily do herbs.

I've been wanting an herb garden like crazy.  Herbs are kind of pricey at the grocery store when you're buying them ALL THE TIME.  And then half of them go bad because you only use a tablespoon or two in each recipe.  Arg!  Anyway, I decided to do an indoor herb garden, hoping that 1) if it was inside I'd see it all the time and therefore be less likely to ignore and then ultimately kill it and also 2) space saving, you know.  

I made mine a little different because I wanted to use things I had on hand.

So, here's my version!


Mason jars.  I used two pint sized jars and 4 half-pint jars.  It's completely up to you what size and how many.  You need one jar for each herb plant.
Chain.  I just bought a pack of (smallish gauge) long silver chain at the hardware store.
Screw in hooks.  Self explanatory.  You need one for each jar.
Pliers.  Also self explanatory. 
Chalkboard stickers.  I used oval ones.  I got them at Hobby Lobby in the scrapbook/sticker section.
Chalk Pen.  Got it at Michaels when I made the huge map/cork board gallery wall.
Ruler.  Average, wooden variety.  But you can use any ruler.  Obviously.
Spray paint.  I used Valspar in turquoise and white.  You can do whatever you want.
Wood board.  Mine was about 27 inches by almost 12 inches.  The size doesn't matter a ton, just so it's big enough to fit as many jars as you'd like.
Painter's tape is optional.  You can use it to tape off your board before painting.  I used the chevron frog tape which I got at Lowe's.
Also, not pictured, a drill.  You know what that is, so it's ok I forgot it in the picture, right?

Start with your jars:
1. Write your labels - one per jar - with your chalk pen.  I made two jars for cilantro since that's the herb we use the most.
2. Place your labels on the jars.
3. Wrap the end of the chain around the jar under the lip to measure how much you need per jar.
4. Use the pliers to lift the link after up.
5. Remove the measured out length of chain from the rest at the broken link.
6. Use this chain to measure out the rest of the chain lengths and break a link to separate them.  
You need one chain per jar.

Prepare your board:
1. Tape off your board (if you want.)
2. Spray it with your spray paint.  I sprayed turquoise from the top down and white from the bottom up to create an ombre effect.
3. Use your ruler and one jar measure the spacing between jars.  
4. Make a mark using the pointy end of a hook where you want each jar to go.
5. Once your board is all marked,
6. Screw in your hooks.



Let's make it hang:
1. Using a drill bit that is big enough for your chain to fit through, drill two holes making sure they are even and centered.
2. Pull the rest of your chain through the holes, putting one end through each hole so you can see the chain on the front of the board.
3. Use your pliers to open a link.
4. Place the opened link through the other end of chain.
5. Close it up with your pliers.
6. And you've got a chain to hang it from!

And... plants!
 2. To prepare your jars, you'll need to put a layer or two of small to mediumish stones in the bottom (don't forget these, they're needed for drainage).  Then put some potting soil in.
3. Plant your herbs!  
4. Wrap a chain around a jar under the lip.
5. Place the ends together and slide the end links over the hook to hang.
6. Do this with each jar.
7. And never mind my wilty cilantro.

 I tried it with the jars straight up and down and with them at an angle.  I think I like it at an angle best.

 Now.  I just have to do my best not to kill them all.  Which, for me, will be quite the feat.



*Be sure to check below for all the fun parties I link to!*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adorable! Just one small problem, namely no drainage, which means that you have to be extra extra careful not to overwater as if the delicate roots sit in water they will likely rot. Keep soil just barely moist, and hopefully all will be well. And when your plants run their course, so fill the jars with water and grow something that can live in water forever, like pathos or heart philodendron. Would be gorgeous with trailing vines, and you'll just have to refill and clean the jars occassionally. Thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...