Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I'm all over easy. ALL over it.


Well, once I had the heart-toe shoes and the hand-stamped arrow pants, there was just one more thing the little miss needed to finish off the Valentine outfit.  Hair-wear.
She's no longer a fan of ponies (which is devastating to me), but I can USUALLY convince her to let me throw a headband in her wild, staticky, crazy, mop of stick straight hair.  You know, so she doesn't completely look like a street urchin.

I did NOT have a ton of time for said head-wear.  There would be no sewn flowers, yo-yo or otherwise.  Nothing like this.  Or this.  Or this.

In fact, I was fairly certain I wouldn't have time for it at all, but at the very last moment my brain thought this up and since it took about 2 minutes tops, I deemed it doable.


But since that's a really long title (descriptive though!) we're just going to call them No-Sew Headband Embellishments.
Again, I'm not sure the headbands are cute, or if it's just the girl wearing them...


In any case, Here's the "tutorial".  (I need a category for tutorials that are so easy they can't really be considered tutorials.  tuteasials?  We'll think on that.)

Here's what you'll need:

I prefer the skinny fabric-y type headbands over the plastic ones with teeth.  The teeth stay in better, but mini hates them.  You can use whatever kind you want, but you might have to adjust the cutting/sliding described.


1. Gather your materials.  Scissors, felt, headbands.  Also, cute girl.  Also, you may want a pencil, but it's optional.
2. Cut cute shapes out of your scrap felt.  I did all of mine freehand which explains the wonky stars, but I kind of like that look - as you well know.  I cut stars, a four leaf clover, hearts, flowers, and a rectangle + bow shape (and to do the bow, you'll also need a little piece of yarn.  See below)
3. Take a shape and fold it in half.  Cut a tiny slit in the middle.  
4. Then cut another tiny slit just below, parallel to the first one.
5. Slide your headband through the two slits - weaving it from back to front and then to back again.
6.  Here's the backside (or inside) of the headband/star.
7.  And slide any other embellishments you want to group together onto the headband.  You'll see that I layered a blue star with a white star on top in the middle there.  I just made sure to cut the slits so the stars were askew of each other, then slid them onto the headband together.

Done!


Here's the deal with the bow.
1. You'll need your rounded rectangle, your bow shape and your yarn piece.
2. Fold the rectangle in half.
3. Fold it in half again, so it's really in fourths.
4. Cut one small slit near the middle apex, not the outer edges.
5. Open it up completely and lay the bow shape in the middle - between the two slits.
6. Fold the bow in the middle.
7. Tie the yarn tightly around the fold and secure in a double knot.
8. Jiggle the yarn over a bit from center and locate the two slits which are now bunched together.  Slide the headband through the two slits.
9. Move the yarn back into place and adjust the bow so it sits where you want it.

Voila!  The best thing about this craft is that the variations are never ending.  The embellishments are impermanent so you can make whatever you want and slide it on and off.  Wear the headband plain.  Wear it with a bunch of felt pieces.  Wear it with only one.  Group different kinds of embellishments together.  Wear the felt pieces off to the side.  Or the other side.  Or in the center!  All different color combos, all different shapes, all different possibilities - and all you really need is ONE headband and some felt!

Oh, yes.  The other best thing about it is that it's really cute.  And your little will likely think it's pretty fun to model the possibilities.

Oh, wait.  The OTHER really best thing about it is that, did I mention?  IT'S EASY!  A few minutes, done and done!

This might be my new favorite photo of this silly girl.  No, I did not tell her to pose.  She just decided to get all modely on her own.

Or maybe this is my new favorite.  It's more like her normal appearance.  

Whichever.  Yea for easy holiday embellishments that don't cost me a dime and take no time at all!  Woo hoo!



*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So simple and great looking, thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday, wonderful to "meet" you! And you've earned yourself a feature!

Anonymous said...

So simple and great looking, thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday, wonderful to "meet" you! And you've earned yourself a feature!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...