Saturday, October 15, 2011

My yard is a disgrace.

This post brought to you by Bulbs. Dig, Drop, Done.. All opinions are 100% mine.
Ever notice how there is a significant lack of OUTDOOR DIY projects blogged about here?  And by "significant" what I really mean is "nonexistent."  It's not for lack of desire, I promise.  Simply put, my yard is a disaster.  It's disgraceful.  You know that one house in your otherwise very nicely kept up,  "TrueGreen" using, nicely manicured neighborhood that's - no two ways around it - ghetto?  I'm afraid that's us.
Like many people, we lived in apartments for the first few years of our marriage.  First apartment had little to no upkeep by the landlord and we ended up shoveling our way out of it a time or two, but nothing extreme.  Second apartment was actually more like a condo with so many amenities we didn't even use them.  Third apartment was tiny but well cared for and the landlords?  Mr's parents.  So we really couldn't complain there.
What's my point?  When mr graduated from college and accepted a job offer here near my family, we went looking for a place to live.  We were positive we wanted a house and all that came with it.  No more loud neighbors.  No more being awaked by "Rock Band" at 2 in the morning.  No more security deposits and living with awful paint jobs we hated and brass fixtures we wanted to change.  Finally we could own our property and do what we wanted to it!
And therein lies the rub.  What the heck were we supposed to do with it???  The first summer we lived here we bought a lawnmower and a weed-eater, but nothing else.  How were we to realize that for legitimate house upkeep you need things like a hedge trimmer, a rake, a ladder, spades, trowels, brown paper bags for disposal, gloves, weed killer... and that's just to keep up the OUTSIDE!  I mean, we were vastly under prepared and struggling to avoid drowning in the upkeep of the INSIDE.
So we have, in general, neglected the outside of our house.  With the exception of mowing the lawn regularly, weeding annually, and spray painting a bird bath so that it looked more my style we've done NOTHING with our yard.  A little over a year ago we got it into our heads that we could redo all of the front rock beds.  We got half of one done and were exhausted.
I would LOVE - did I say love?  I mean REALLY, REALLY LOVE - to do something with our outdoor living area.  I would love to add some curb appeal to my house.  I would love for our house to stand out among the cookie cutters surrounding it.  Are you like me?  (Well, maybe not as bad, but kind of in a way like me?)
You should probably head over to dig, drop, done like I did.  Looking for a way to carry your love of color from inside your home to the outdoors?  Love to be creative with design and aren't sure where to start outside?  Need some tips about planting flowers?  Dig, drop, done.  can help.
I fully admit to having a black thumb.  Nothing I plant grows.  In fact, it's more accurate to say that my potted plants begin a slow death from the moment they enter my care.  It's sad but true.  When I looked around DigDropDone.com I was amazed at how easy caring for bulbs seemed to be.  There were tips on color schemes, a how to for planting bulbs and even a calendar so you know when to plant what.  (I don't know about you, but that's one of my biggest excuses - that I don't even know when I'm supposed to planting my flowers so they bloom on time.  Did you know that you're supposed to plant spring flowers in October when the soil is about 50 degrees?  Well, I learned that there.  And hey, that's right now!)
Dig, drop, done shares not only the facts, but inspirational stories and ideas as well.  Perhaps the story I most identify with is Juliana.

No, obviously I'm not a fashionista living in the big city coddling a little dog.  Kind of the opposite, really, except in one respect.  I don't have a lot of time OR, more importantly PATIENCE to be fussing with plants.  I love plants and gardens and have a deep appreciation for their beauty.  But I have to admit to a certain level of neglect when it comes to that aspect of my "homemaking."  I just don't find the time to lavish lots of attention on my garden.  In Juliana's video she talks about being surprised by the bulbs appearance in spring - forgetting she had even planted them.  If I can find some low maintenance plants like that, well, then that's the plant for me!
One of my favorite flowers are daffodils.  Imagine how beautiful spring could be at my house if I were to take advantage of the planting guide on dig, drop, done and plant daffodils behind a row of smaller bulbs, like grape hyacinths.  You could decorate your table and mantle with your own fresh flowers, pick them to give away as birthday or get well gifts, or use them in pots around your house.  Really, the possibilities are pretty endless with the simplicity and beauty of these flowers.  You can visit www.digdropdone.com to learn more.
Ok, ok, I've been saving the coolest news for last.  Ready for it?  DigDropDone.com is pairing with Taniya Nayak for Curbside Chaos.  Who's Taniya Nayak???  What???  Have you been living under a rock?  You might remember her from such awesome HGTV shows as Designed to Sell, My House is Worth What? and Bath Crashers.  So, what is Curbside Chaos?  Well, first and foremost it's a chance for YOU to enter to win a $5,000 yard makeover AND a visit from Taniya herself!  She would personally help you with tips on transforming your space and incorporating bulbs into your landscape.  (I don't know about you, but meeting Taniya and getting tips is enough of a prize for me.  Know what?  I totally entered.  I used this photo:

Don't you think that deserves SOMETHING?
I could also include these:


Yuck.  Can't believe I just showed you that.
ALSO, for every share on twitter, "Bulbs.  Dig, Drop, Done." will donate $1.00 to Rebuilding Together, the nation's leading nonprofit, working to preserve affordable homeownership and revitalize communities.  So you can totally make a difference in the lives of others as well!
When you visit Curbside Chaos, you'll find the Garden Guru Tool, a super easy to use guide for finding the right kind of bulb for you, according to your location!

It's easy to pick your bulbs, it's easy to find tips and how-to's.  And now it's easy to be inspired.
Cross your fingers for my yard.  And go enter! 
Visit Sponsor's Site

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...