Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Take 4: Cozy Bangle Makeover



I don't know about you, but I've got numerous bangles, cuffs, and plain jane jewelry pieces I don't really wear.  You know those 50 cent sales at random cheap jewelry bargain stores?  I could fill a large bin.  

Maybe if I did a yarn makeover, I'd wear them more?  Hm.



You'll need:
Yarn, at least two colors
cheap/ugly bangles
optional - hot glue gun

ok, really, they don't need to be ugly OR cheap.  It just so happens that mine are both.

Obviously, there are many ways you can do this.  I'm going to show you one way in detail, and then two other options in pictures.

Cut yourself some strands of yarn, one of each color.  Tie them to the bangle in a double knot.  
NOTE: If you are worried about your knots slipping, you can dab just a smidge of hot glue on the knot.


Holding one of the yarn strands against the bangle, wrap the other strand around the bangle AND the first strand and tie a SINGLE knot.


Repeat this step.


See how the knots are wrapping around the bangle to the right?  


Wrap around and knot this first color for a while, until you create a length that you like.  Move on to the second color.  Holding the first colored yarn strand against the bangle this time, wrap the second color around the first and the bangle and tie a single knot.


And just wrap and tie a single knot, over and over again.  Switch off colors.  You can keep the color segments the same length, or switch it up.  When you get to the end, simply wrap one color around the bangle, then tie the strands together in a double knot.  Trim off the excess thread.  Dab some hot glue to secure, if you wish.


Secondly, you could obviously simply wrap the bangles with a single color of yarn, or


Wrap the bangles with BOTH colors at once.  For both of these I just tied the yarn on to start and tied the yarn together at the end, securing both knots with hot glue.


And you're done!  Don't they look cozy?


And much more unique than those plain jane silver bangles.




Mandy's crocheting some cool stuff.  Go check it out!







*Be sure to check just below for all the fun parties I link to!

3 comments:

Mindie Hilton said...

I have a bunch of those bangles too I will have to try this.

I am inviting all my blog buddies to ener my give away.


http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/03/couture-bracelet-free-give-away.html

Mandy England said...

I love this! So cute!! :]

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Those are really pretty! What a fun craft for a group. Thanks for the how-to, I'll be linking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...