Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My vow for 2010

Remember way back here, when I wrote this informal vow to make all the presents I give people this year?  

Well, I’ve done a pretty good job so far.  Here’s the list:
Sister’s birthday: Altered Cookie Tin Mini Album
Sister IL’s birthday: Flower Hair “Bling”
Friend’s Two Year Old Nephew’s Birthday: the “Boy Bag,” stashed with a homemade coloring book, and a “pocket pouch” with stickers and crayons (unfortunately I didn’t think to take pictures of any of this - which is kind of sad because I really liked it, especially the “pocket pouch”, but when I make it again I will take pictures and post them with a tutorial.
Mom’s Birthday: Sewn Bookmarks
Nephew’s birthday - “Emergency Kit;” a bunch of his favorite things in a plastic bin, including doritos, coke, kit-kat, oreos, and mcdonalds gift cards.  I know, this wasn’t totally made but my mom did “alter” the bin by adding a big red cross to the top.  This was my mom’s idea.  I think it counts.  I mean, what do you make a 15 year old?  Oh my gosh, he’s 15... 
Friend’s wedding: Custom hand-crafted his and hers storage bins which I created from recycled boxes, duct tape, fabric scraps, mod podge, rhinestones and hot glue.  My favorite things!  No, no, just kidding.  I thought this might be ONE event I wanted to actually purchase something.  I am not quite confident enough in my skills to make wedding presents.  Maybe sometime in the near future, but not now.  So I got her something off her registry.  Cop out?  Maybe.  But I think she’s grateful I did NOT hand-craft any recycled boxes for her.
And most recently...
Brother IL’s birthday - Secret Book with Treasure stashed inside
What,  You say?  Treasure??  Yes, that’s right.  Everyone needs a secret place to store their most prized possessions.  
You may remember from a post yesterday that Sunday was my Brother IL’s birthday.  I thought I would harken back to Sherlock Holmes’ time and make him a “secret book.”
Actually, this was partially mr’s idea because we made a few of these babies for some family and friends for Christmas and mr thinks they’re just about the coolest things I make, bar none.  So, if you’d like to learn how to make one, you’re in luck.  I’m posting a tutorial in a bit!

2 comments:

jess smart smiley said...

Handmade Christmas presents are the best!

Unknown said...

I concur!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...